Saturday, May 24, 2008

Obama, the CANF, and Latin America

I have to admit, I haven’t paid much attention to the Cuban American National Foundation recently. In my U.S.-Latin American Relations class I discuss it in historical context, for its policy importance under Jorge Mas Canosa (who died over a decade ago).

As a result, I read this story about Barack Obama giving a speech to the CANF with some confusion. Obama reiterated his oft-mentioned idea that the U.S. should engage in diplomacy with the Cuban government. Then what happened?

Obama's speech was warmly received and he was frequently interrupted by applause.

But there’s more. McCain had given a typical “I’ll be your hardliner man” speech a few days ago, which I assumed had been both expected and popular. Not quite:

Obama's speech offered a sharp contrast to the remarks delivered just four days ago by McCain in Miami. McCain's stay-the-course message was warmly received, but foundation president Pepe Hernandez said he was disappointed.

''We love Sen. McCain and we have been friends with him for a very long period of time, but we think at this juncture of history of the Cuban process we need to try new approaches and new methods,'' he said. ``There was nothing in his speech that we have not heard before.''

So even CANF is saying that nearly a half century of failure marks the time to come up with a fresh strategy.

Finally, the Obama campaign simultaneously released a document proposing a new Latin America policy. I do not think it is an exaggeration to call it bold. I’ll have to chew on it a bit.

16 comments:

Justin Delacour 8:03 AM  

Finally, the Obama campaign simultaneously released a document proposing a new Latin America policy. I do not think it is an exaggeration to call it bold.

Oh, please. The talking points are no different than Madelaine Albright's. Certainly better than what McCain has to offer, but to describe such a banale set of talking points as "bold" is a stretch.

Scholars aren't supposed to get carried away with hype, Greg.

Paul 10:01 PM  

"Scholars aren't supposed to get carried away with hype, Greg."

Funny, I thought Justin(if no one else) considered himself to be a scholar. I guess this must be his famous lack of self-awareness.

Justin Delacour 12:33 PM  

Funny, I thought Justin(if no one else) considered himself to be a scholar. I guess this must be his famous lack of self-awareness.

And which "hype" is this that I've been taken in by, Paul?

Anonymous,  7:22 PM  

To Paul point. Justin is not hype at all. He is actually a retrograde.

Justin Delacour 7:57 PM  

To Paul point. Justin is not hype at all. He is actually a retrograde.

Having you considered the BerlitzEnglish class, anonymous?

Anonymous,  8:27 PM  

and a racist

Anonymous,  8:30 PM  

retrograde:
-contrary to the normal order -archaic : contradictory, opposed

Justin Delacour 9:11 PM  

Berlitz lesson #1: "Hype" is a colloquial term that generally refers to publicity or propaganda about certain things. The expression "Don't believe the hype" means that you shouldn't take publicity too seriously. Now, don't feel bad. Greg doesn't seem to be familiar with this expression either, so it's okay.

But just so you know, we wouldn't usually refer to a person as hype. A person can be hip or hyper but not hype.

Anonymous,  11:32 PM  

Thank you Justin. I appreciate your lesson. I even did some research and found out that you are a indeed a hype, meaning "a narcotics addict".

Justin Delacour 11:47 PM  

you are a indeed a hype, meaning "a narcotics addict".

Berlitz Lesson #2: No, actually it would be pure hype to suggest that occasional pot-smoking constitutes narcotics addiction. But, in any case, nobody in the United States would know what you meant if you called somebody a "hype."

Anonymous,  9:06 AM  

sorry to hurt your feelings. I know Marulanda's lost affects you. I forgive you.

Anonymous,  9:09 AM  

And I want to help you. What you have is called denial defense mechanism:
"Suggest that occasional pot-smoking constitutes narcotics addiction."
It is typical. Ask for help. You still have time. I am here for you.

Justin Delacour 10:45 PM  

sorry to hurt your feelings.

Oh, trust me, anonymous. You're not capable of hurting my feelings.

Anonymous,  8:22 AM  

You dedicate a lot of time to me (even though I may not exist or be several people). Which is a good sign, it means you want to recover. It also proves you are totally out of touch with reality.
How is Slave Revolt?

Boli-Nica 2:31 AM  

someone in New Mexico is lacing Shaggy's weed with heavy doses of ARL * powder. Causes rage, massive delusions, paranoia, and makes you really self-righteous.

Definitively needs to find some kinder bud, and smoke lots of it.


*Angry-Radical-Leftist-

Anonymous,  1:30 PM  

I am Justin.
Slave Revolt
Justin is me.
Slave Revolt
Who am I?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP